Skip to main content

Breastfeeding: Part 7 of 1,000,000

On a recent trip to visit family, I fed the baby in front of my 5-year-old niece who had plenty of questions. She wanted to know how and why I was feeding my daughter. I explained to her that we are mammals, like cows and dogs and whales. That all mammals have mammary glands and produce milk. Some women feed their babies with the milk, and that's what I'm doing. She seemed to understand most of what I was saying, and she was immediately concerned with my privacy. We were in the women's bathroom of a restaurant and I was just standing in front of the sink as I fed the baby and answered her questions. She began looking for a place for me to sit down, and as we left the bathroom she found a bench in a secluded area of the restaurant and suggested I go there next time.

This moment surprised me - I felt a little annoyed at myself for going into the bathroom at all! In this case, I did have my cover but didn't use it at the dining table because my dad and older brother were there. I found myself thinking that I should have fed the baby at the table using the cover in an effort to set an example for my niece. To model that breastfeeding in public is normal. And that it's okay to exhibit some modesty and use a cover, but that it's nothing that needs to be done in private.

I told my niece I didn't need to sit on the bench in the corner to feed the baby. I actually told her that next time, I'll feed the baby at the table with the rest of the family. So now I must next time I get the chance.

A couple days later I was presented with the opportunity to let down my guard. I breastfed my baby in front of my dad! Well, sort of...  I was at my parents' house breastfeeding my daughter on the couch without my cover. My dad came into the room and we were already doing the deed. He was actually coming in to say goodbye as baby girl and I were leaving in a few short hours and he had to go before then. He leaned down over the back of the couch and kissed my forehead as he said his goodbye, and I continued to feed the baby as I said mine.

The weirdest part is that it wasn't weird! I wrote about not wanting to breastfeed in front of male family members in the post Breastfeeding: Part 1 of 1,000,000, because I couldn't get past the idea of a male family member seeing one or a part of my boobs. I had thought I would feel so awkward, but this recent experience with my dad has given me new hope. Perhaps I will be able to breastfeed openly and comfortably in front of anyone!

This was a small lesson and another small victory. But I'm motivated and think that I will continue to grow in this area. So go me! After all, the postpartum period is the best time to celebrate the little wins along the way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Participation Trophy Woes

The image is taken from this article .  I'm a millennial, but an older one. I was born in 1984 which I believe is the beginning point of the millennial generation. I want to talk about a specific aspect of growing up millennial: participation trophies. These were somewhat regular in my childhood. Although they were not always guaranteed, they were around enough to matter in critical times during my development. I had some participation trophies, while I also had some other earned trophies. However, those participation trophies had an impact on the "earned" trophies. For me getting participation trophies taught me to devalue all trophies. When I was a junior or senior in high school, my mom found several awards I'd won shoved in a drawer in my bedroom. One such trophy was a writing award, another was my "Rookie of the Year" plaque I'd earned for diving into the Youth & Government program gung-ho even though it was my first year. I'd just jo

Grammar Nerd and Proud!

I love this explanation of superlatives and whether they require a preceding article... Read Melissa Morato 's answer to Is it grammatically correct to say "Sweetest" as superlative form or it must be always "The sweetest"? on Quora

Deplin

Some may be surprised that I decided to write about this. It's personal stuff. But after a lot of thought, I decided to share anyway because I found something really beneficial to my health. Anyone who knows me really well knows that I have struggled with anxiety and depression at different times throughout my life. Anyone who sort of knows me has probably heard me talk about this and been surprised. You may fall into that second category now. I'm naturally a fairly nervous person. What may seem very small and insignificant things to some can send me into a tailspin. I may worry over a mistake on a work project or something stupid I said at a party for weeks after the incident. I get stomach aches when this happens. I give just as much attention to worrying about the future as I do the past, and it results in even more stomach aches. In my late twenties, I was pretty sick of feeling sick to my stomach from all this worrying all the time. So I started seeing a therapis