Skip to main content

Breastfeeding: Part 1 of 1,000,000

I'm sure I'll circle back to this topic often! Breastfeeding in public.

I've done it. I love it. I support it for all. I think all places of employment, public bathrooms and more should be retrofitted with Nordstrom-style mommy rooms for breastfeeding. But I can't muster up the gumption to do it in front of any male family members. In fact, while I'm comfortable in front of friends or almost any female visiting me in my own home, there are female family members I'm not sure about. Would I whip out a boob to feed my daughter in front of my mother-in-law? If it were just us and in my home, I probably would. But I might feel a little weird, or pause first. And if we were at her house, I would probably go in the other room to feed the baby.

In front of my father-in-law, my father, either of my brothers or any other male family member? Close male friends? No way, man! I have fed the baby in public, in plain view of many a male passerby and it didn't bother me at all. But my breast being exposed to those near and dear to me just feels strange, even if for perfectly natural and functional reasons.

I think this is because I worry about the comfort of my family members and male friends. In part, I think it's also for my husband's sake - no matter the situation, I doubt he wants to think about his brothers or his dad having seen my boobs. If I'm really honest with myself, I have to admit that the core issue is I'm simply not comfortable breastfeeding in front of certain people. I think this discomfort stems from seeing boobs only as something sexual, not functional. This is something I've just always understood about breasts, whether I was even aware of it.

This Kristina Kuzmic video (I found it on Upworthy) pokes fun at our cultural designation of breasts as purely sexual. She uses comedy to make some great points! I have to admit that even as a breastfeeding mom, I struggle to embrace my boobs as the functional wonders they are.



I hope that at some point, breastfeeding in public will not even be a topic for discussion. Women who need to feed their babies while out and about will do so without hesitation or reservation. And women rockin' cleavage will also freely go about their business!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Participation Trophy Woes

The image is taken from this article .  I'm a millennial, but an older one. I was born in 1984 which I believe is the beginning point of the millennial generation. I want to talk about a specific aspect of growing up millennial: participation trophies. These were somewhat regular in my childhood. Although they were not always guaranteed, they were around enough to matter in critical times during my development. I had some participation trophies, while I also had some other earned trophies. However, those participation trophies had an impact on the "earned" trophies. For me getting participation trophies taught me to devalue all trophies. When I was a junior or senior in high school, my mom found several awards I'd won shoved in a drawer in my bedroom. One such trophy was a writing award, another was my "Rookie of the Year" plaque I'd earned for diving into the Youth & Government program gung-ho even though it was my first year. I'd just jo

Grammar Nerd and Proud!

I love this explanation of superlatives and whether they require a preceding article... Read Melissa Morato 's answer to Is it grammatically correct to say "Sweetest" as superlative form or it must be always "The sweetest"? on Quora

New, Hot, Cool Mom Stuff

I'm back! I took a break, and then an even longer break. I lost my confidence and I guess my voice too. In reviewing my last post - from March! - I can see that my thinking was not as sharp or clear as I'd like. I have a lot to say but am really nervous about saying it or writing it. The truth is that as much as I seem to want to do this, blogging is very hard for me. I have in my recent past really hurt people's feelings with my writing. I have also taken some personal risks and wrote things that later embarrassed me. Worst of all, I've both hurt other people and embarrassed myself at the same time with my writing. Sometimes I guess I'm fearful I'll make the same mistakes again... or if I'm really honest about it, I feel as though I don't deserve the chance to write about whatever I want to now because of the mistakes I made then. There was also an incident. A short, brief conversation. Not even a conversation... my mother made a passing commen