Skip to main content

Lessons From Bikram Yoga & Kris Jenner

I am in the middle of a Bikram yoga challenge. I committed to completing 25 Bikram yoga classes this month (May 2016). Bikram yoga is hard, hot, really intense and not for everyone.

I've completed 18 classes so far this month. I have 7 classes remaining and due to some scheduling issues, I must complete my first "double" and attend 2 classes back-to-back this weekend. Before completing 18 classes in such a short span of time, I couldn't fathom doing two classes in a row. I know it will be a challenge, but at this point, I am confident I can do it.

That's pretty huge because it's been awhile since I've felt totally confident I can do anything. I've been having a lot of doubts about what I'm doing with my life these days. I often question some of our lifestyle choices and the decisions we make together as parents. I've been tired, and kind of lonely. I haven't been very motived to do me at all. I recently started binge watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians and fancying a role model for myself in Kris Jenner.

My daughter gave me just enough of a fire to do something about this negative stitch. Thanks to her, I can no longer afford to waste weeks wallowing in self-pity like I once did. So I signed up for this yoga challenge and will complete it before the end of this month. I feel pretty good about it, and I'm beginning to feel pretty good about me too.

The other participants and I talk casually before and after class. In these conversations, we generally touch on how long one's been doing yoga, which studios one may have been to before, and other unremarkable comments. I am one of the more seasoned students, I'm pretty flexible, I stand in the front row and sweat like Robin Williams during a standup routine. I wear a teeny bikini-like yoga costume. It's pretty obvious I've done this before, but I am new to the studio because I'm still pretty new to this area. So it seems some of the other students have been curious about me.

I've shared the fact that I have a 9-month-old baby with some of the gang, and that info is always met with surprise and something like: "You don't look like it!" In response to comments like this, I found myself explaining that I didn't gain very much weight during the pregnancy because I dealt with a lot of morning sickness and heartburn, etc. ... Instead of accepting positive remarks and moving on with my day, I felt the need to diminish them in some way.

I thought about this revelation and realized I've unwittingly carried that way of thinking into a few parenting situations.

When I take my daughter to the grocery store, she makes friends. She's a gorgeous little baby, and so many people like to smile and wave at her. She's generally a ham, and so she'll usually smile and wave back.

There are times she's just not interested, and would rather play with her toys or stare into space than engage with anyone else. On the rare occasion some sweet old lady approaches our shopping cart and just can't get the baby's attention, I usually feel compelled to explain my daughter's lack of interest. I'll say that she's tired, or she doesn't feel well. Granted it's often that the explanation I'm providing is totally evident. But there have been a couple of times she just wasn't in the mood to engage a total stranger at the grocery store... and I felt compelled to offer this stranger an explanation for her behavior.

Something about this makes me feel a little icky, a little too much like my favorite control freak "Momager." While I turn to Kris Jenner for guidance in many things, perhaps creating a public persona for my daughter will wait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Participation Trophy Woes

The image is taken from this article .  I'm a millennial, but an older one. I was born in 1984 which I believe is the beginning point of the millennial generation. I want to talk about a specific aspect of growing up millennial: participation trophies. These were somewhat regular in my childhood. Although they were not always guaranteed, they were around enough to matter in critical times during my development. I had some participation trophies, while I also had some other earned trophies. However, those participation trophies had an impact on the "earned" trophies. For me getting participation trophies taught me to devalue all trophies. When I was a junior or senior in high school, my mom found several awards I'd won shoved in a drawer in my bedroom. One such trophy was a writing award, another was my "Rookie of the Year" plaque I'd earned for diving into the Youth & Government program gung-ho even though it was my first year. I'd just jo

Grammar Nerd and Proud!

I love this explanation of superlatives and whether they require a preceding article... Read Melissa Morato 's answer to Is it grammatically correct to say "Sweetest" as superlative form or it must be always "The sweetest"? on Quora

New, Hot, Cool Mom Stuff

I'm back! I took a break, and then an even longer break. I lost my confidence and I guess my voice too. In reviewing my last post - from March! - I can see that my thinking was not as sharp or clear as I'd like. I have a lot to say but am really nervous about saying it or writing it. The truth is that as much as I seem to want to do this, blogging is very hard for me. I have in my recent past really hurt people's feelings with my writing. I have also taken some personal risks and wrote things that later embarrassed me. Worst of all, I've both hurt other people and embarrassed myself at the same time with my writing. Sometimes I guess I'm fearful I'll make the same mistakes again... or if I'm really honest about it, I feel as though I don't deserve the chance to write about whatever I want to now because of the mistakes I made then. There was also an incident. A short, brief conversation. Not even a conversation... my mother made a passing commen