Skip to main content

Filing For SDI And PFL


Figuring out what I was going to do for "maternity leave" was so scary for me! I really felt lost. It took me a lot of research and talking through obstacles with friends before feeling confident that I'd filled out forms correctly and wouldn't somehow get penalized for taking time away from work for the baby. I was scared of being judged or perceived as lazy for taking too much time, or that I'd be an unfit mother if I didn't take enough time. And I worked for a company without a traditional HR department, so it was difficult to unearth the right information for me and hash out a plan.

Actually, one of the main sources of stress for me was trying to create my plan for leave and ultimately returning to work. When I found out I was pregnant, I tried to wait until I'd made it through the first trimester before telling anyone at work that I was in the family way. But I can't keep my own secrets to save a life, so everyone in my department and a few others knew fairly early on. I didn't report the information to HR until I was almost halfway through my second trimester, because I was completely freaked out. (I should tell you that I use the term "HR" loosely because no such thing existed at this particular office.)

The gal in charge of all HR-related activity at the office was in a tough spot. She'd been hired to be an administrator and office manager, and when she started she was tasked with HR work for a rapidly growing company. I actually feel badly for her. She's an awesome administrator with a great attitude, who was unfairly tasked with managing something she's never managed before... while I have no beef with her, going through this process with a non-expert wasn't great. I was unable to get a straight answer as to how long I could stay away from the job. Therefore I was unable to plan, and I thought I was going to have a panic attack every minute of every day at work from about 20 - 30 weeks preggo.

Until about 6 weeks prior to taking leave, all I knew was that during my leave, my job would be secure and I would be unpaid. I was worried my employer's ignorance about state benefits programs would ultimately limit my options. So I researched on my own and talked to a good friend who happens to be an HR professional. I then put together an email outlining the state program information, where I found the info and my intention to take the maximum amount of time away from the office.

Then the gal in charge of HR created a PDF out of my email. She then sent me, copying her boss and a few others in Sr Management, an email explaining my options for state benefits with that PDF attached. That used to annoy me, but now I think it's funny. (And good for her! She should have been equipped to be successful at her job. In spite of the fact that she wasn't, she was able to show her boss that she's right on top of that, Rose!).

I have to reiterate that it took me a while to compile that information I needed to make an informed decision. Most of what I found researching online was relevant for those employed by large companies who must comply with federal laws. The company I worked for didn't meet that criteria, so I needed to know about CA state laws and programs. At about 30 weeks, I finally felt I'd prepared myself to take state-assisted leave at 36 weeks.

I took 4 weeks leave prior to the baby's due date, 6 weeks maternity leave and an additional 6 weeks "bonding" leave. I was paid a decent portion of my salary for that entire 16 week period.

That first 10 weeks off was covered by Short-term Disability Insurance (SDI). These benefits are calculated based on how much you've paid into the system over time. As long as you've been employed with the same company for over 1 year before claiming SDI due to pregnancy, you qualify. The amount you're actually paid while on leave will depend on your salary, number of years you paid in (at your current job and previous jobs). Upon qualification, you will receive a "notice of computation" that informs you of the rate you'll be paid while claiming SDI.

You're then automatically sent the paperwork to transition from SDI to Paid Family Leave (PFL), and the same process starts anew.

This is how the timeline looks for eligible, W-2 pregnant ladies and new parents in the state of California:
  • 4 Weeks SDI prior to your due date (Mom only)
  • 6-8 Weeks SDI Insurance from date of birth (Mom only)
  • 6 Weeks PFL anytime in the first year from date of birth (Mom or Dad)

This article from disabilitysecrets.com is the best and most concise article explaining how SDI and PFL in California work. I've also included a link to the CA State Employment Development Department in the Resources & Shoutouts section of this blog.

As a last resort, if you are in CA, having trouble figuring out what to do and have some extra cash, check out Milk Your Benefits. This site was created by an HR professional turned mother, who can help ensure you are informed about all of the programs and benefits available to you.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Participation Trophy Woes

The image is taken from this article .  I'm a millennial, but an older one. I was born in 1984 which I believe is the beginning point of the millennial generation. I want to talk about a specific aspect of growing up millennial: participation trophies. These were somewhat regular in my childhood. Although they were not always guaranteed, they were around enough to matter in critical times during my development. I had some participation trophies, while I also had some other earned trophies. However, those participation trophies had an impact on the "earned" trophies. For me getting participation trophies taught me to devalue all trophies. When I was a junior or senior in high school, my mom found several awards I'd won shoved in a drawer in my bedroom. One such trophy was a writing award, another was my "Rookie of the Year" plaque I'd earned for diving into the Youth & Government program gung-ho even though it was my first year. I'd just jo

Deplin

Some may be surprised that I decided to write about this. It's personal stuff. But after a lot of thought, I decided to share anyway because I found something really beneficial to my health. Anyone who knows me really well knows that I have struggled with anxiety and depression at different times throughout my life. Anyone who sort of knows me has probably heard me talk about this and been surprised. You may fall into that second category now. I'm naturally a fairly nervous person. What may seem very small and insignificant things to some can send me into a tailspin. I may worry over a mistake on a work project or something stupid I said at a party for weeks after the incident. I get stomach aches when this happens. I give just as much attention to worrying about the future as I do the past, and it results in even more stomach aches. In my late twenties, I was pretty sick of feeling sick to my stomach from all this worrying all the time. So I started seeing a therapis

Grammar Nerd and Proud!

I love this explanation of superlatives and whether they require a preceding article... Read Melissa Morato 's answer to Is it grammatically correct to say "Sweetest" as superlative form or it must be always "The sweetest"? on Quora