Skip to main content

New Mommy Kit

I am so proud of myself for this one!

My cousin is having her first child in December and her baby shower later this month. Since I just had my first in August (and am still reeling from the reality of recovery) I wanted to do something to help her in the first couple of weeks home from the hospital. My first two weeks home were quite challenging and I was floored by some of the items I needed to care for myself... like stool softener! So I did my best to put some of these items together in a pretty package for the mommy-to-be.

I was able to find everything in a quick trip to Target. But anyone who wants to replicate the idea can do so frugally by making more stops. You can certainly get a cheaper gift box and stickers from Michael's or a party supply store. I went with bright pink from Target because the box was the right size and I love bright colors.

It's my hope that she won't even need most of this stuff. But if she does, she won't have to run out to CVS (or ask someone else to!)... at least for a couple of days.





The contents include almost everything I needed in the first 2-4 weeks at home, except for a Peri Water Bottle and Peri Ice Packs. These items are usually provided by the hospital, and they're hard to find at retail locations. But great substitutes can be ordered from Amazon using the links above. If you need a more stylish Peri Water Bottle, my personal recommendation is the Fridababy Mommy Washer. Sometimes you just need something a little fancier in those desperate and embarrassing moments!

Here is everything that I did include and why!
1. Overnight Maxi Pads - I needed to wear these day and night for about 2 weeks.

2. Panty Liners - I needed these day and night for recovery weeks 3-6.

3. Extra Strength Tylenol - This is a decent pain reliever and safer than Aspirin products for breastfeeding moms.

4. Stool Softener - I had stitches, and your first poop post-stitches is terrifying without the help of a stool softener!

5. Medicated Wipes - These contain Witch Hazel and aloe. They can be used for 
hemorrhoids, but I also used these as a cool compress to help with my stitches.

6. Lanolin - I don't even really need this stuff now, but the first couple of weeks my nipples were in bad shape.

7. Nipple Gel Pads - Same as #6.

8. The Wet Brush - I actually started using mine in the 3rd trimester and will never stop. It's amazing! I brush my hair right out of the shower and never look back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Participation Trophy Woes

The image is taken from this article .  I'm a millennial, but an older one. I was born in 1984 which I believe is the beginning point of the millennial generation. I want to talk about a specific aspect of growing up millennial: participation trophies. These were somewhat regular in my childhood. Although they were not always guaranteed, they were around enough to matter in critical times during my development. I had some participation trophies, while I also had some other earned trophies. However, those participation trophies had an impact on the "earned" trophies. For me getting participation trophies taught me to devalue all trophies. When I was a junior or senior in high school, my mom found several awards I'd won shoved in a drawer in my bedroom. One such trophy was a writing award, another was my "Rookie of the Year" plaque I'd earned for diving into the Youth & Government program gung-ho even though it was my first year. I'd just jo

Grammar Nerd and Proud!

I love this explanation of superlatives and whether they require a preceding article... Read Melissa Morato 's answer to Is it grammatically correct to say "Sweetest" as superlative form or it must be always "The sweetest"? on Quora

Deplin

Some may be surprised that I decided to write about this. It's personal stuff. But after a lot of thought, I decided to share anyway because I found something really beneficial to my health. Anyone who knows me really well knows that I have struggled with anxiety and depression at different times throughout my life. Anyone who sort of knows me has probably heard me talk about this and been surprised. You may fall into that second category now. I'm naturally a fairly nervous person. What may seem very small and insignificant things to some can send me into a tailspin. I may worry over a mistake on a work project or something stupid I said at a party for weeks after the incident. I get stomach aches when this happens. I give just as much attention to worrying about the future as I do the past, and it results in even more stomach aches. In my late twenties, I was pretty sick of feeling sick to my stomach from all this worrying all the time. So I started seeing a therapis