Skip to main content

Finding New Mom Support Groups

It has been hard to find good support groups and organizations for new moms out here in the Pomona Valley area! A lot of searching online lead me to La Leche League but I really couldn't find anything else. That is until I stumbled upon two groups using an app called Meetup.

MOMS (Moms Offering Moms Support) is an international organization dedicated to providing support to stay at home moms during the day, when moms are often isolated. I was surprised at how hard it was to find my local chapter (probably because members are busy being moms and not actively marketing the group...). I found a chapter for the next town over via Meetup and contacted them. They directed me to the MOMS web site so I could find the Diamond Bar chapter. I went to the web site, filled out a form and got a response within a few hours. There was some paperwork and a $25 (annual) fee to join. I took care of that part last week and attended my first group meeting yesterday at the Cal Poly Pomona pumpkin patch. The group seems great with several local moms and kids of all ages. They were all very welcoming. It was really nice to get out of the house and I am very much looking forward to the next meeting. I recommend visiting the MOMS web site to find a chapter near you too!

I also found a Pregnancy and Postpartum Stress group at the Pomona Valley Health Center. This is a weekly, free support group for pregnant women and postpartum moms who are experiencing stress, depression, anxiety or other issues. Pre-crawling babies, nursing, bottle feeding, crying, laughing and any other emotional outbursts are totally welcome. There is a light lunch provided by the clinic. So far, this has been has the best group for me! I have been struggling with postpartum depression (PPD) and anxiety, and this was a wonderful place to share and feel somewhat normal. The "fourth trimester" is extremely difficult for most of us, and it helps to remember that you're not alone while you go through it. This group made me feel like a part of something special and the exact opposite of isolated. I found this group using the Meetup app, and I highly recommend something like it for anyone going through PPD or any postpartum issues. Do a Google search for "postpartum support groups near me" if you're stuck. You should at least get some leads for good resources in your area.

La Leche League is a better-known organization, however, it was actually harder to find a local LLL group than it was to find the other two groups. It took more Googling than I expected. The organization is focused on breastfeeding, and known for members who breastfeed their kids until middle school... well, maybe not that long. But the organization does have a reputation for not only encouraging breastfeeding past infancy but also for harshly judging women who either can't or choose not to breastfeed. Thankfully, when I did find a local group and attended a meeting, the women in the group were not judgmental at all. In fact a few moms talked very openly about supplementing with formula or weaning after a few months. There were a couple of moms who touted breastfeeding multiple children at a time, for years, but no one was pushy about her own personal choices. It was a free and open discussion, and everyone shared her own individual experience. It was a great opportunity to ask questions. And I did get to breastfeed in front of other breastfeeding women. This was important to me because as a first time mom I often find myself worrying whether baby girl's feeding habits are "normal." So I was thrilled to feed her in front of other moms and freely ask "does your baby do this?" in real time. Even if you're not breastfeeding, LLL meetings provide opportunities to get to know other moms. Find a group near you!

If you need support, find it. There are groups and organizations out there dedicated to new moms. This - the fourth trimester - is a tough time, and thankfully we live in a time that recognizes this. Don't isolate if you're having any feelings of depression or anxiety. Hell, email me if you want to talk to someone! It is not hopeless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Participation Trophy Woes

The image is taken from this article .  I'm a millennial, but an older one. I was born in 1984 which I believe is the beginning point of the millennial generation. I want to talk about a specific aspect of growing up millennial: participation trophies. These were somewhat regular in my childhood. Although they were not always guaranteed, they were around enough to matter in critical times during my development. I had some participation trophies, while I also had some other earned trophies. However, those participation trophies had an impact on the "earned" trophies. For me getting participation trophies taught me to devalue all trophies. When I was a junior or senior in high school, my mom found several awards I'd won shoved in a drawer in my bedroom. One such trophy was a writing award, another was my "Rookie of the Year" plaque I'd earned for diving into the Youth & Government program gung-ho even though it was my first year. I'd just jo

Grammar Nerd and Proud!

I love this explanation of superlatives and whether they require a preceding article... Read Melissa Morato 's answer to Is it grammatically correct to say "Sweetest" as superlative form or it must be always "The sweetest"? on Quora

Deplin

Some may be surprised that I decided to write about this. It's personal stuff. But after a lot of thought, I decided to share anyway because I found something really beneficial to my health. Anyone who knows me really well knows that I have struggled with anxiety and depression at different times throughout my life. Anyone who sort of knows me has probably heard me talk about this and been surprised. You may fall into that second category now. I'm naturally a fairly nervous person. What may seem very small and insignificant things to some can send me into a tailspin. I may worry over a mistake on a work project or something stupid I said at a party for weeks after the incident. I get stomach aches when this happens. I give just as much attention to worrying about the future as I do the past, and it results in even more stomach aches. In my late twenties, I was pretty sick of feeling sick to my stomach from all this worrying all the time. So I started seeing a therapis