Skip to main content

Breast Cancer Awareness Woes

As you all probably know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness (BCA) month. THE month to celebrate boobs!

As we near the end of BCA month, many news organizations are now reporting on new findings about a racial gap in breast cancer cases. Some boobs are reportedly at a higher risk for fatal breast cancer than ever before.

Thanks to so much attention surrounding breast cancer and the efforts of charitable research organizations like Susan G. Komen, great strides have been made against breast cancer. But sadly, new research indicates that African American women have been somewhat left behind. Incidences of fatal breast cancer in African American women are on the rise, in spite of positive medical advances in recent years. 

Researchers don't yet know how to account for the increase in diagnoses of breast cancer in African American women, but some ideas have been tossed around. One idea is that there may be a correlation between fatal breast cancer and obesity, and statistically there are more African American women suffering from obesity. More research needs to be conducted before anyone can report any firm conclusions. 

To find out more, check out some of these fascinating articles and resources:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Participation Trophy Woes

The image is taken from this article .  I'm a millennial, but an older one. I was born in 1984 which I believe is the beginning point of the millennial generation. I want to talk about a specific aspect of growing up millennial: participation trophies. These were somewhat regular in my childhood. Although they were not always guaranteed, they were around enough to matter in critical times during my development. I had some participation trophies, while I also had some other earned trophies. However, those participation trophies had an impact on the "earned" trophies. For me getting participation trophies taught me to devalue all trophies. When I was a junior or senior in high school, my mom found several awards I'd won shoved in a drawer in my bedroom. One such trophy was a writing award, another was my "Rookie of the Year" plaque I'd earned for diving into the Youth & Government program gung-ho even though it was my first year. I'd just jo

Grammar Nerd and Proud!

I love this explanation of superlatives and whether they require a preceding article... Read Melissa Morato 's answer to Is it grammatically correct to say "Sweetest" as superlative form or it must be always "The sweetest"? on Quora

Deplin

Some may be surprised that I decided to write about this. It's personal stuff. But after a lot of thought, I decided to share anyway because I found something really beneficial to my health. Anyone who knows me really well knows that I have struggled with anxiety and depression at different times throughout my life. Anyone who sort of knows me has probably heard me talk about this and been surprised. You may fall into that second category now. I'm naturally a fairly nervous person. What may seem very small and insignificant things to some can send me into a tailspin. I may worry over a mistake on a work project or something stupid I said at a party for weeks after the incident. I get stomach aches when this happens. I give just as much attention to worrying about the future as I do the past, and it results in even more stomach aches. In my late twenties, I was pretty sick of feeling sick to my stomach from all this worrying all the time. So I started seeing a therapis