Skip to main content

Skip The Strip: Unique-ing It Up Outside Vegas

I was pregnant when we got married in April 2015; so for the past year I've been looking forward to our 1-Year Anniversary. We've been planning to drop the baby off at my parents' place in Henderson, NV and spend some time on the Las Vegas strip.

But a new idea started to take shape in early March... My husband and I are fortunate and his parents love babysitting. We got to take a small "just us" trip and spend a night alone for my 32nd birthday. We decided to be as alone as possible without going totally remote to a walk-in campsite. We found a KOA that rents small cabins in Santa Paula, CA (about 30 minutes away from my in-laws' place). And thanks to a processing error on their end, we bypassed the 2-night minimum and booked a studio cabin for one night. So we "glamped"... and we loved it!

I never expected to fall in love with KOA, nor did I ever expect to "glamp" - but the unique date night experience was great for hubby and me. It was a relaxing, easy, fun and very sexy night away. We felt like we were truly away from it all, but our cell phones still worked perfectly and we could get to baby Bumble easily if we needed to.

A photo posted by Kristie Brazell (@kristiebrazell) on


A photo posted by Kristie Brazell (@kristiebrazell) on


A photo posted by Kristie Brazell (@kristiebrazell) on


Since our stay at the KOA we've completely changed our 1-Year Anniversary Vegas Vacation gameplan. We'll be cozying up in a small cabin on Mount Charleston, 35 miles north of the Strip, for two nights! This is the first time we'll be away from the baby for more than 1 night. We'll have limited cell reception on the mountain. I completely trust my parents to care for her... it'll be fine. It's fine. We're fine.

It's fine.

My hubby and I are both looking forward to this "extended" and uber relaxing getaway. We will definitely sleep. But my darling and unsuspecting hubby will protest when I tell him what else I have planned! (He'll groan, acquiesce and then have a good time.) I want to explore Kyle Canyon and Humboldt Toiyabe National Forest, and so we'll definitely hike. I haven't decided whether I want to select a trail in advance and play up "how badly I've always wanted to hike that trail" so as to minimize the protestations, or insist we pick a trail together once there. Either way, it'll be an annoying battle (from which I'll emerge victorious). I think Mummy Springs would be perfect for us - challenging but not insane, a solid afternoon but not all day, and high elevation for panoramic views! But I may push my luck and suggest something more challenging like Mary Jane Falls... or uppity like Griffith Peak!

If you know of a trail in the area and want to challenge us to tackle it, please make a suggestion in the comments section! 

I want to eat dinner and have fireside drinks at the lodge, and I think I want to eat breakfast there one of the mornings we wake up in our cabin. The food looks about mediocre (although I hope to be proven wrong); it's an ambiance thing, I assume. I must go!

I am so pleased that during the first year of our daughter's life (and in our old age) my husband and I have found a new way to vacation together. I think I will take the time to document this adventure in a way I never have before. I'll take pictures. I'll create a Facebook album in homage to my former posting self!

I'm enjoying planning and have started our packing list. I'm already anticipating a couple of arguments and will make sure we have some stress-relieving, "good thing the baby's not here" items in tow. But on the whole, I couldn't be more excited to skip the Strip.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Participation Trophy Woes

The image is taken from this article .  I'm a millennial, but an older one. I was born in 1984 which I believe is the beginning point of the millennial generation. I want to talk about a specific aspect of growing up millennial: participation trophies. These were somewhat regular in my childhood. Although they were not always guaranteed, they were around enough to matter in critical times during my development. I had some participation trophies, while I also had some other earned trophies. However, those participation trophies had an impact on the "earned" trophies. For me getting participation trophies taught me to devalue all trophies. When I was a junior or senior in high school, my mom found several awards I'd won shoved in a drawer in my bedroom. One such trophy was a writing award, another was my "Rookie of the Year" plaque I'd earned for diving into the Youth & Government program gung-ho even though it was my first year. I'd just jo

Grammar Nerd and Proud!

I love this explanation of superlatives and whether they require a preceding article... Read Melissa Morato 's answer to Is it grammatically correct to say "Sweetest" as superlative form or it must be always "The sweetest"? on Quora

New, Hot, Cool Mom Stuff

I'm back! I took a break, and then an even longer break. I lost my confidence and I guess my voice too. In reviewing my last post - from March! - I can see that my thinking was not as sharp or clear as I'd like. I have a lot to say but am really nervous about saying it or writing it. The truth is that as much as I seem to want to do this, blogging is very hard for me. I have in my recent past really hurt people's feelings with my writing. I have also taken some personal risks and wrote things that later embarrassed me. Worst of all, I've both hurt other people and embarrassed myself at the same time with my writing. Sometimes I guess I'm fearful I'll make the same mistakes again... or if I'm really honest about it, I feel as though I don't deserve the chance to write about whatever I want to now because of the mistakes I made then. There was also an incident. A short, brief conversation. Not even a conversation... my mother made a passing commen