Skip to main content

Diarrhea Is So Hard To Spell

California Condo and HOA Swimming Pools
  are now required to post this sign near the pool entrance.

I've Googled diarrhea so many times this past week, and I rarely spell it correctly.

Baby girl has had a stomach bug. We finally went to the pediatrician yesterday after a week of spectacular diaper shows. We currently go to Foothill Pediatrics, and yesterday we saw Dr. George Madanat.

He said it could be a reaction to her recent Rotavirus vaccination (10/22), or it could just be diarrhea. He recommended Pedialyte only for 24 hours, followed by alternating between Pedialyte and breastmilk for 12 hours. My husband and I are a little concerned about this. 24 hours seems too long to go without breastmilk. Won't she be hungry? And honestly, I don't think I really understand why he wants us to do this. What he said was that the Pedialyte will give her digestive tract a break from breastmilk so she can fully digest anything that could be upsetting her stomach. The Pedialtyte will keep her hydrated and nutritionally satisfied. But she's not dehydrated now... In fact, she has tears, saliva and a lot of pee pee. I associate Pedialyte with dehydration.

So, I guess I'm not really comfortable with what the doctor recommends... and this is the first time! So far, I've just been doing as the doctor asked. I feel kind of rebellious and nervous, and like I ought to be obedient... I am truly ambivalent about whether I will take the doctor's orders.

My hubby and I decided to wait until Friday night to start, so we can care for her together Friday night and Saturday. If she has any issues with the Pedialyte, I'll nurse her. Or maybe we'll just supplement with Pedialyte and skip the part about forgoing breastmilk for 24 hours. I just don't know!

The pediatrician also recommended wiping her bum with 100% cotton wash cloths (water only). Her poor little butt was so chapped and red, and it's improved greatly since we started doing this last night. This goes a ways restoring faith in his recommendations.

Thankfully my husband and I are completely on the same page. Neither of us loves the idea of not feeding her for 24 hours. We found some helpful posts on Baby Center - other parents with the same reservations had been given the same recommendation. So it's not as though the pediatrician is asking us to do anything out of the ordinary... This will be an interesting weekend for our family. And I'm sure I'll have the correct spelling for diarrhea down come Sunday.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Participation Trophy Woes

The image is taken from this article .  I'm a millennial, but an older one. I was born in 1984 which I believe is the beginning point of the millennial generation. I want to talk about a specific aspect of growing up millennial: participation trophies. These were somewhat regular in my childhood. Although they were not always guaranteed, they were around enough to matter in critical times during my development. I had some participation trophies, while I also had some other earned trophies. However, those participation trophies had an impact on the "earned" trophies. For me getting participation trophies taught me to devalue all trophies. When I was a junior or senior in high school, my mom found several awards I'd won shoved in a drawer in my bedroom. One such trophy was a writing award, another was my "Rookie of the Year" plaque I'd earned for diving into the Youth & Government program gung-ho even though it was my first year. I'd just jo

Grammar Nerd and Proud!

I love this explanation of superlatives and whether they require a preceding article... Read Melissa Morato 's answer to Is it grammatically correct to say "Sweetest" as superlative form or it must be always "The sweetest"? on Quora

New, Hot, Cool Mom Stuff

I'm back! I took a break, and then an even longer break. I lost my confidence and I guess my voice too. In reviewing my last post - from March! - I can see that my thinking was not as sharp or clear as I'd like. I have a lot to say but am really nervous about saying it or writing it. The truth is that as much as I seem to want to do this, blogging is very hard for me. I have in my recent past really hurt people's feelings with my writing. I have also taken some personal risks and wrote things that later embarrassed me. Worst of all, I've both hurt other people and embarrassed myself at the same time with my writing. Sometimes I guess I'm fearful I'll make the same mistakes again... or if I'm really honest about it, I feel as though I don't deserve the chance to write about whatever I want to now because of the mistakes I made then. There was also an incident. A short, brief conversation. Not even a conversation... my mother made a passing commen